A poisonous gas leak at the Mallinckrodt Chemical Laboratories yesterday was brought under control in approximately one hour and a half, fire officials said.
According to Deputy Chief John J. Galinas of the Cambridge Fire Department, a cylinder of hydrochloric acid was knocked over in a third floor laboratory room at around 5:10 P.M.
The lab building and surrounding buildings were evacuated to prevent any injury from the highly corrosive and poisonous gas, Galinas said.
A hazardous materials task force equipped in fully encapsulated suits entered the building, placed the cylinder in an upright position, and put it under a film hood, he said.
The building was re-opened to students and faculty at 6:45 p.m., after the clean-up was completed.