Customers Complain About New Post Office

By Javier V. Garcia, Contributing Reporter

Only eight days after reopening its doors, the Harvard Square Post Office is not fulfilling its promise of efficient, speedy service, said some customers interviewed yesterday.

The customers complained that while the look may different, the long lines are still there.

"It looks like there are going to be long lines for everything," said Cambridge resident Nader Mafi. "The set up is such that all the different departments with full-service help have one big line."

Touted by post office officials as the "Postal Store of the Future," the Harvard Square branch was revamped to include several speedy self-service options and a state-of-the-art postal store.

Postal officials maintained yesterday that the long lines are a result of customers unfamiliar with the new facilities and not because of flaws in the design.

"There are automated machines for stamps, weighing packages and many other services," said Victor A. Carbone, manager of the post office. "There is even a clerk whom we call a lobby director who helps shorten the line by speeding people on their way by directing them to the convenient automated machines."

Carbone added that a new system inevitably has some problems that need to be ironed out.

"I hate to say it, but there are a few glitches or small problems right now," Carbone said. "I expect that with a little time, everything will take care of itself."

One Harvard Square postal clerk said yesterday the problems stem from inadequate staffing and not building design.

"The Postmaster General kind of has his hands tied right now because there just aren't enough funds," said Joe F. Steevs, a clerk at the post office. "Half the time we have just enough people working to open up the door in the morning and lock up at night."

Steevs said that since more jobs can't be created right now, the post office must run with a reduced crew and thus cannot be as efficient.

"Today I'm the lobby director, tomorrow I'll probably be behind the desk," Steevs said. "Some days we Don't' even have enough people to have a lobbydirector and that really kills the whole conceptof efficient service."

In spite of the difficulties, not everyone isdisappointed by the post office's recent service.

"I've only used it twice and both times it'sbeen a lot faster and more efficient," saidCambridge resident Lisa Machoian. "I think thechange had definitely been for the better."

Postal officials agree, saying the responsehave been on the most part positive.

"Overall, about 95 percent of the response hasbeen overwhelmingly positive," Carbone said."We've come along way from that temporary trailerwe were in during that grueling winter.