Double the Pleasure: Two Ivy Titles

Laxwomen Score Big Victory Over Big Green, Secure League Crown

By Peggy L. Yeh, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women's lacrosse team (12-1 overall, 6-0 Ivy) clinched the Ivy League title on Wednesday in a convincing 11-5 victory over Dartmouth (9-4 overall, 5-1 Ivy) in Hanover, NH.

And assuming the squad takes care of business in tomorrow's make-up game against the University of Vermont, the Crimson will remain first in the nation when it begins NCAA tournament play on Monday.

The outcome of tomorrow's contest against the Catamounts is almost a foregone conclusion since Harvard's squad has a serious edge in talent.

But while the team is going into the game with confidence, it is still wary of surprises.

"Vermont is a pretty good team--we seem to have our problems with them," Co-Captain Ceci Clark said, "but we are the better team."

Following the battle with the Catamounts, the Crimson will likely get a bye and skip straight to the Final Four. This dogfight for the NCAA title will take place two weeks from now in Lehigh, PA.

The Big Green never came close to the Crimson as the inconsiderate visitor burned the host team from the start.

Harvard dominated the first half with an incessant attack and a pesky defense. By the time the half-time horn sounded, the Crimson was in cruise-control with a comfortable 7-1 lead.

"It was the best we've played," Clark said. "We dominated in the first half and took them out of it."

Harvard gave the Big Green a break in the second half, relaxing its intensity just a bit. The teams matched each other neck-and-neck, both netting four goals in the period.

Junior Liz Berkery once again led the Crimson in scoring with four goals while the sophomore tandem of Sarah Downing and Francie Walton garnered two apiece. Co-Captain Sarah Leary recorded 13 saves while Dartmouth sophomore Kim Cohen shopped 11 shots on goal.

HARVARD, 11-5 at Hanover, NH Harvard  7  4  --  11 NH  1  4  --  5

G: Harvard--Liz Berkery (4), Sarah Downing (2), Francie Walton (2), Brooke Early, Buffy Hansen, Margo McAnaney; Dartmouth--Lauren Holleran (2), Tracy Hagen, Ginger Smith, Margo Winnery.

A: Harvard--Downing (2), Jo-Anne Alissi; Dartmouth--Ellen Bruce.

S: Harvard--Sarah Leary 13; Dartmouth--Kim Cohen 11.