CRIMSON NOTEBOOK

By Jay K. Varma

Cohen Qualifies for Nationals

Harvard junior Debra Cohen earned a bid to the national road cycling championships last week, after winning second place in the 45-lap criterium and third in the 45-mile road race at the Eastern Collegiate Cycling Championships.

Cohen, however, said she will be unable to attend the national competition, to be held in Rome, Ga. May 15-17, because of academic conflicts.

"I have two finals the next day and a paper due the day before," the North resident said. "I was glad I was invited. It would be nice to compete next weekend, but academics are more important."

Even though books dominate her life for the next several weeks, Cohen is still keeping at least part of her attention focused on cycling. She is currently training for the Olympic sprint trials to be held June 24-30.

"The training's going well," Cohen said. "It's great to have the [cycling] team here, because there are people to ride with."

Cohen and the rest of the cycling team closed out their season last weekend with a seventh place finish (out of 73 teams) in the Easterns.

Hill, Rullman Elected Captains; Harvard Dominates Shot Put at Heps

The Harvard baseball team has elected junior outfielder Mike Hill captain for the 1993 season. Hill is known for his outstanding field skills, his lightning quickness (he's also a standout running back on the football team) and his consistent hitting.

The soft-spoken Cincinnati-native went 10-for-15, including 10 rbis, on the Army/Brown road trip in early April, a performance which earned him EIBL Player of the Week honors.

Hill said his main challenge will be to keep the team confident as it heads into an uncertain year. Harvard will be losing top performers Jim Mrowka, Nick Del Vecchio and Dan Scanlan to graduation.

"We're losing a lot of talent with the seniors this year. I guess we're going to have to instill a team philosophy where everyone contributes and everyone works for the success of team," Hill said. "People just have to believe. We don't have to be cocky, just confident that we can beat anyone."...

The Harvard men's basketball elected versatile junior Tyler Rullman captain for the 1993 season Friday at the annual team banquet. Rullman, who played both forward and guard this season, is the team's deadliest outside shooter, tallying a team-high 37 three-pointers last season.

He also topped the team with 15.4 points-per-game, along with 5.5 rebounds-per-game.

The Winthrop-resident, who has collected 1021 points in three years, is only the 16th Harvard player ever to score over 1000 career points.

Other awards given out at the team banquet include: Most Valuable Player to outgoing-captain Ron Mitchell; Most Improved Player to junior Peter Condakes; John Harnice '84 Award to sophomore Anikar Chhabra; and Floyd S. Wilson Award to senior David Lapointe...

Harvard's top weight-performers continued to shine at the Heptagonals Championships in New Haven, Conn. this weekend. Senior Nicholas Sweeney won the shot put with a throw of 53-8 1/4, while senior Cathy Griffin picked up first-places in both the shot put (47-8 1/4) and hammer throw (177-2)...The final results for the Heptagonals were not available as of press time...Sophomore Richie Lee and senior Peter Bye won't be heading to the NCAAs with the rest of the varsity men's tennis team this week, but they found a little glory of their own Saturday, winning the annual Mather House Pong Tournament...The "On Deck" box will return in the fall, when regular-season athletics resume.