Council Discusses Affirmative Action Policy

Program Would Ensure Residents, Women and Minorities Jobs in City Construction

By Melissa Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Cambridge may adopt a new affirmative action system in order to ensure city residents, minorities and women employment in the construction and development industries.

Councillors proposed an ordinance which would require an employee ratio of 50 percent Cambridge resident, 25 percent minority and 10 percent women for all firms contracted by the city.

Construction projects that would fall under this proposed policy would be those above a specified square footage or dollar amount and those funded by public monies.

The council will vote on the proposal--called Cambridge Residents Jobs Policy--after City Manager Robert W. Healy tacks several amendments on to the ordinance.

The ordinance to create the policy would be the fourth attempt in the council's history to formulate an effective system that would guaranteed resident hirings.

The current affirmative action efforts have "failed to achieve their desire effects", according to a council order.

But despite council and public support for the adoption of a new policy to replace the old ordinance, several panelists at Monday night's meeting warned the council that an ordinance which implemented strict quotas could encroach on individual liberties.

"These are delicate waters on which we tread in terms of constitution rights," said Healy.

Jay Lacroix, a lawyer for the Boston Employment Commission, said if the city council enacts the proposal they must be willing to take strong action to enforce it.

Lacroix said that Boston has taken several concrete steps to ensure the success of their program, including monitors to check construction sites regularly and a quasi-legislative body to adjudicate claims of non-compliance. Lacroix added that part of Boston's success has been due to their willingness to take strong action against violators of the policy.

Many residents expressed support for adopting such programs and testified that under the current ordinance, they have been discriminated against on the basis of sex or race.

"I was under the impression that [the employer] hired me because he needed a hire a woman," said Leslie Pierce, who worked on the construction of the Area Four Teen Center for 12 days until she was fired. She said she is in the process of filing a complaint with the Community Development Department.

Other residents approved of the philosophy behind ensuring Cambridge residents with jobs in the city but disapproved of the long-term effects such a policy might have.

"What it's leading to is more government... and less free enterprise," said John Natalie. He also said a quota system would be "economically a disaster."