Don't Blame Bush

DISSENT

By Jacques E.C. Hymans

THE CRIMSON has taken a more thoughtful stand on this issue than one might have expected. In refusing to jump on the bash-the-jury bandwagon, they have shown that they clearly understand the difference between a highly emotional TV insta-trial and the calm deliberation of a court of law.

But then they lose their confidence and, deciding they have to bash somebody, turn to an old target, President George Bush.

I am not a Bushie and do not believe that his mistakes should be overlooked, but this attack comes from far-left field. Anyone who thinks Bush has waffled in his condemnation of police brutality simply has not been willing to listen to what he has had to say.

Furthermore, his decision to push ahead with the federal investigation of the LAPD officers shows his commitment to justice in this matter.

The Crimson even faults Bush for "overwhelmingly" condemning the riots across the country. This is too ridiculous to merit a response.

Playing partisan politics in this affairs is unnecessary and destructive. The more time we spend debating which party is more responsible for America's problems, the less time we can spend considering the direction America should head in.