DeLone Plans to Go Pro

First-Year Tennis Star Will Leave College

By Ted G. Rose, Crimson Staff Writer

Erika R. deLone '95, the sixth ranked college tennis player in the country, said this week she plans to leave the College to pursue a professional tennis career.

DeLone, the top singles player on the women's tennis team this year, spent a full year on the professional circuit before enrolling in Harvard. However, she refused payment--and maintained her amateur status--in order to compete for the Crimson.

"I have decided to do this because it has been really difficult to try to juggle college tennis, professional tennis and academics," deLone said.

DeLone informed her teammates and coaches of her decision during a Monday meeting just before the team selected captains for next year.

Few expected deLone to remain in school--and out of the pros--for the four years it takes to earn a degree. But her decision to leave after just one year caught many off-guard.

"Last year, I knew that she might only stay one year," said current Co-captain Melinda Wang '93, "but throughout this year the general consensus was that she was going to stay at least two years."

"I knew this was something on her mind," said Harvard coach Gordon C. Graham. "I thought she was going to give it more than a year."

Anne deLone, Erika's mother, said she supportedher daughter's decision

"We're really sad she's leaving Harvard, but Ithink it was the only thing she could do in theend," she said.

Drop in Ranking Key

In the year depone played the professionalcircuit full-time her world ranking climbed ashigh as 95. DeLone has dropped to 161th sincecoming to Harvard.

DeLone said that the drop in prorankingaffected her decision.

"It's difficult to compete against people onthe pro circuit when they train five hours a dayand you only play for two," deLone said.

DeLone had planned on playing in professionaltournaments while at Harvard, but the pro tourbecame a low priority in her intense Harvard life.

"She was hoping to play a couple [professional]tournaments a quarter. In the end, she only playedtwo all year," her mother said.

In fact, deLone is unique for even enrolling incollege during her prime, her mother said.

"No one at her ranking would have evenattempted to go to college," she said.

College A Good Experience

But Graham said yesterday that college was agood experience for the young star and that deLoneis leaving too early.

"My perspective is to look at the wholeexperience, not just the tennis," Graham said."From that perspective, I don't think this is inher best interest."

DeLone was vague about when she would finalizethe decision to leave Harvard.

While she was firm in her decision this week,deLone added in an interview that she "changes hermind a lot."

In her short college career, deLone took thecollege circuit by storm as she compiled animpressive 32-4 singles record in her rookieseason.

Among her 32 wins was a close three-set victoryover the current number-one player in the country,Shannon McCarthy of Georgia--Mc-Carthy's only lossof the season.

Earlier this week, the lntercollegiate TennisCoaches Association (ITCA) named deLone its Rookieof the Year for the Northeast region.

The Weld Hall resident also broke several lvyLeague and school records this year, includingmost singles victories in a season by a Harvardplayer (32) and least games conceded to lvycompetition in singles play (11 games in sevenmatches).

More Than a Player

Players and coaches who have spent the yearwith deLone said they will miss much more than herperformance on the tennis court.

"The talent is just one part," Graham said."She brought a great team spirit to this group.I'm one of her biggest fans."

Kimberly L. Cooper '92 echoed her coach'ssentiments.

"She could have come in and been muchdifferent," Cooper said, "but she was a teamplayer. Everyone will miss that part of her."

DeLone herself said she will miss thecamaraderie of this year's squad.

"I have had a great year," deLone said. "Theteam has been so much fun to play for.

Drop in Ranking Key

College A Good Experience

More Than a Player