Police Reorganize

Protection, Detective Units Divided

By Elie G. Kaunfer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard University Police Department's detective unit has dramatically improved efficiency in recent months--increasing its coordination with the state police and the number of search warrants issued--according to Police Chief Paul E. Johnson.

Johnson said the detective unit has shown improvement since Lt. John F. Rooney began handling the department's criminal investigations.

In April, Johnson separated dignitaryprotection responsibilities from the Criminal Investigation Division (CID).

Lt. Lawrence J. Murphy, who formally headed the division, began overseeing VIP protection full time this semester.

Johnson said he decided to divide the jobs because Murphy was facing "an increasing demand of VIP security" in addition to the crimes detectives had to investigate.

The chief said the increasing number of distinguished visitors requiring security was "impacting the investigative ability of [the CID] unit."

Under Rooney, who originally headed a two-person detective task force, the department has begun several new initiatives to improve its service, said Johnson.

"Detectives are now assigned to a specific area, not on a case-by-case basis," Rooney said. "We meet the victims face to face. Through followup investigations we let them know we're sincere."

Rooney has also ensured that the updated booking room is better designed to handle HIV-positive suspects.

And although Johnson stressed that the move was not a reflection of Murphy's ability to conduct investigations, the chief is very excited about his replacement.

"Lt. Rooney has fresh, innovative ideas," said Johnson, who described Rooney as an "aggressive street commander." "This job suits his temperament," he said.

Johnson is not Rooney's only fan. Detective William H. Phillips Jr., who heads the Cambridge Police Detective Unit, also praises Rooney.

"He's a knowledgeable guy who knows thestreets," Phillips said. "He has the experienceand will be able to improve the department."

Johnson expressed confidence in Murphy'sability to head the newly separated protectiondivision. Murphy has had extensive experience withprotecting visitors and recently completed atraining program run by the Secret Service inWashington, D.C.

"Lt. Murphy does the VIP stuff extremely well,"Johnson said. "He interacts with the FBIregularly, with whom he has had a goodrelationship over the years."

Johnson said that coordinating protection andthe criminal investigations is too much for asingle person.

"It is a full-time job just arranging for VIPvisits and special operations," Johnson said. "Thenew division is designed to improve service to thecommunity."

Murphy agreed that the two jobs were too muchfor one officer to execute efficiently.

"There are only so many hours in a day," hesaid. "I tried to do the best I could ineverything, but you can only do so much."

Johnson said he is pleased that the division oflabor has improved both departments.

"Any time you can improve a division it's agood thing, and both have been improved," he said