Epps to Direct Undergraduate Race Relations

Dean Will Coordinate Efforts, Retreat

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

After a spring of rising racial and ethnic tensions in the College, University officials have placed Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III in charge of undergraduate race relations.

Shortly after Commencement, Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles and Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 made the administrative change, which leaves Epps responsible for the College's two race relations offices.

Epps, an authority on Malcolm X, a former civil rights leader and the longtime dean of students, now has new power in intervene in future crises.

Previously, the two offices, the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations and the Office of Race Relations and Minority Affairs, were loosely responsible to the dean of the College.

But Hilda Hernandez-Gravelle, assistant dean for race relations and minority affairs, said Epps will primarily serve to bolster the ongoing work of the two offices.

"I don't see Dean Epps as in charge of race relations, I see Dean Epps as there to assist and support," she said.

Epps, who said he is "trying very hard to leave the past behind," will work with a faculty committee to review the current status of race rela- tions in the College.

"We hope to make a new start and are presentlyplanning a retreat that would include racerelations tutors in the Houses, student leadersand college staff," Epps said.

Hernandez-Gravelle said that while she hasconcerns about the organizational timetable, theprogram is an example of how Epps' involvement inrace issues will be valuable.

Epps said some of the College's current racerelations structures will remain in place throughnext year. The faculty committee, he said, willexamine the current structures and makerecommendations for their future.

The dean of students declined to sayspecifically what about "the past" he wants toleave behind, or how he plans to do so. Heoutlined some principles that he hopes to follow.

"I strongly believe that these agencies shouldbe open to everyone, and that in our work weshould have strategies that are fair, open mindedand flexible," Epps said.

Epps said he was asked to assume the newresponsibilities after most undergraduates hadleft for the summer.

During the school year, students had repeatedlysaid that infighting between the college's tworace relations administrators and their officeswas counterproductive. Last spring, S. AllenCounter, director of the Harvard Foundation, cameunder fire for alleged insensitivity to Jewishstudents.

But Epps said administrators made no effort towait until student activists left town before theymade structural changes. "I don't think thattiming was an important issue, because in thesummer we tend to review things and also plan forthe next year," Epps said.

Minority student leaders contacted yesterdaysaid they approved of the changes. Reached at hishome in New York, Hillel Coordinating councilChair Shai A. Held '94 praised "decisions andefforts...that will facilitate the two [racerelations] offices working more effectively andclosely."

Held said he thinks Epps will be "veryeffective in his new role," lauding theadministrator for his commitment to the issues andfor his accessibility to students.

Although in years past Epps' interaction withBlack students was sometimes rocky, this semesterthe dean won plaudits for his more active effortsin race relations.

Black Students Association President Zaheer R.Ali '94, also reached in New York, said he is gladto see Epps playing a larger role in racerelations.

Ali said he thinks the retreat is a good idea,but also called for more widespread efforts torelieve racial tensions.

"It's one thing to have the leaders meet, butyou also have to have that feeling trickle down toall of the students," he said.

Time will tell how successful the College's newrace relations initiatives are, Ali said. "I'mhappy to see the College responding, but I thinkmost students will withhold judgment until we seethe results of this restructuring," Ali said.

Counter was out of the country and unavailablefor comment