Patrick to Lead Office Of Human Resources

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Diane B. Patrick, a University attorney who has handled labor and employment relations matters for Harvard for the past six years, has been named director of the Office of Human Resources.

Patrick will head a staff of 71 that is responsible for benefits, compensation, training, development and employment on a University-wide basis. She said she will remain closely involved in relations with Harvard's labor unions.

In an interview, Patrick said that in her new job, she will try to be "an advocate for the people who work here."

"Part of my mission will be to make sure that the people who work here are being well served in the area of human resources, that their needs are being recognized and heard and addressed," she said.

Patrick is a member of the University teamwhich is currently negotiating a new contract withthe Harvard Union of Clerical and TechnicalWorkers.

Patrick, a Black woman, said he appointment is"a good sign" of President Neil L. Rudenstine'scommitment of diversifying the upper ranks ofHarvard's administration.

She said she did not think her race was afactor in her appointment, however. She was chosenfor the spot from more than 150 applicants fromacross the nation.

As a University attorney, Patrick conducted aninvestigation this spring when several Harvardsecurity guards complained of racial harassment.Some of the guards criticized Patrick for notprobing deeply enough.

But Patrick said she talked to the securityguards at a meeting and read their complaints.

"I did hear what their complaints were and Iinvestigated them," she said