Dunster Senior Wins Award

Radcliffe's Highest Honor Goes to Neurobiology Student

By Ivan Oransky, Crimson Staff Writer

A Dunster House neurobiology concentrator has captured Radcliffe College's highest honor, officials announced earlier this week.

Angela Susan Lee '92, of Cherry Hill, N.J., was awarded the Fay Prize, given annually to the graduating senior woman who "has given evidence of the greatest promise."

"I was completely surprised," Lee said yesterday. "I'm a very lucky person."

Radcliffe College President Linda S. Wilson, in announcing the award, said that Lee excelled in both her academic as well as public service activities.

"While her academic credentials and breadth of activities are clearly impressive, it is Angela's dedication and commitment to educating others that distinguish her from her peers and make her an especially deserving recipient of this award," said the Radcliffe president.

Lee said that she enjoyed success in many areas of her undergraduate experience because she was able to find things which she was interested in, such as Dunster's HAND program.

"I find a lot of people who [are successful], in all different ways," she said. "When people at Harvard can't find time to do things, they don't really want to do those things,"

An abstract of the recipient's independent research was published in the 1991 Society for Neuroscience Abstracts.

In addition, Lee was one of seven graduating seniors selected to receive a Pforzheimer Foundation Public Service Fellowship.

Lee said she will spend at least the next 15 months directing Summer-bridge, an academic enrichment program for economically disadvantaged sixth grade students which she founded in the Cambridge Longfellow Elementary School.

Past Winners

Past winners of the Fay Prize, established in 1909, have included Dr. Jennifer Leaning '68, an international peace activist and chief of emergency services at the Harvard community Health Plan, and Susan D. Chira '80, a reporter and editor for The New York Times. The award carries a $3500 prize as well as a Latin diploma.

Elizabeth Hughes '91 won the award last year.