New York Diary

Sights, Sounds and Perks at the Democratic National Convention

By Ira E. Stoll

All You Need and More

Delegates and media alike were met with large corporate-underwritten crates of information and goodies upon their arrival. In the patriotically decorated box was everything a visitor to New York could possibly need and much more. Included: bus and subway maps, a hardcover American Express Guide to New York, a Zagat Restaurant Survey, coupon books, a calling card with one dollar's worth of free calling, convention directories, media guides for events in the city, a CNN tote bag, and a large New York Times duffel bag. all free. Tough life, this reporting business.

Party Time

The New York Post, one of the city's daily tabloids, knows how to get readers from among the 5000 delegates and 15,000 reporters here for the week. Beneath the headline, "Party Time!" in four-inch high letters yesterday is the sub-head for the real story: "Topless dancers woo the delegates." Pictures are included.

What a Studd

The Democrats may be working hard this week, but at least some analysts are preparing just in case they don't work hard enough.

Yesterday's convention issue of Roll Call, a Washington newspaper, released a state-by-state survey of members of Congress to determine who would be President if the November election fails to produce a majority winner and goes to the House. Roll call says that at the present, four states will likely go to Clinton with 16 leaning that way; and one likely to Bush with seven leaning to him, one will lean to Perot.

In the Massachusetts delegation, only Rep. Gerry Studds (D) said he would vote for Clinton. Rep. Chet Atkins said he would "vote the popular vote of the nation," but the other nine members wouldn't say. Hmmm...Wonder how those other nine Democrats and zero republicans would go...

Free? Or Far Too Costly?

At Saturday night's media welcoming party in Bryant Park, corporate sponsorships were in plentiful supply. Miller Beer, Coca-Cola and Kraft foods were among the heavy-hitters.

Were the corporate sponsors expecting anything from the Democrats in return for all this free food, drink and funding? Was there anything improper going on here in terms of corporate influence?

"That's a non-factor," Democratic Committee Chair Ronald H. brown said yesterday. "I find nothing at all wrong with that."

Brown said that the companies were only interested in doing things good for New York, such as "trying to build tourism."

Hammer Time

Overheard in the media work area while CNN's marathon coverage blared four women standing in front of Madison Square Garden singing a horrendously discordant version of "If I had a Hammer." "I'm glad I'm in print," one reporter said.

Belle Bash

And how did your delegates to New York spend their last moments before getting down to business? The Massachusetts delegation was wined and dined Sunday night at the posh Laura Belle, a ritzy club near Times Square. Highlights included appetizers of shrimp and oysters adorning an ice sculpture of a donkey. The Dems hope the symbolism doesn't extend to the donkey melting away...

1-800-SOUND-BITE:

The Clinton Campaign introduced its new telephone number for radio stations and reporters to call for short snippets (15 seconds or so) of speeches from the campaign. Callers hear: "Press 1 to hear actualities from Gov. Clinton, Press 2 to hear actualities from Sen. Gore..." The official name of the service: The Clinton for President Actuality Line.

And in case you're interested, the number is (800) 621-1822