Harvard Donates Food To Russian Tall Ship

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

No chickwiches sailed aboard the Russian tall ship Sedov as it left Boston Harbor today, but nearly three tons of other food did--all amassed by Harvard Dining Services.

Dining Services director Michael P. Berry said he was dressing for a cocktail party on the Sedov last Sunday when he heard a news report about the ship's food shortage. That night on the boat, he invited the crew to come to Harvard for a meal, but they asked for provisions for their journey to Liverpool, England, instead.

Amassing the food from Harvard's suppliers, Berry said, took about six hours.

At 7 a.m. yesterday morning, Harvard workers arrived at the docks, equipped with essentials for the month-long trip--including 400 lbs. of chicken legs, 700 lbs. of peeled tomatoes, 500 lbs. of ketchup, 100 lbs. of onions, 100 lbs. of cabbage and a bunch of Harvard hats.

"All the Russian soldiers were wearing Harvard hats," Berry said. "It was just the talk of the docks."

Three of the tall ships docked at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal were from the Commonwealth of In- dependent States, said Gary M. Brown, whoworked to coordinate vessels' needs at the SailBoston '92 volunteer liaison desk.

But since the demise of the Soviet Union, theships are often hardpressed for money, Brown said.

"The government funding for the vessel is in amajor state of flux at this point," he said."Because of that flux, they do not have a wholelot of cash."

Funding for the boats depends on their homeports--an every-boat-on-its-own-bottom policy ofsorts, Brown said.

At the docks yesterday morning, sailors anddining services workers loaded the boat via ahuman chain, Brown said.

"It was really, really a lot of fun," Berrysaid. "It was one of the best mornings I canremember being around here."

Most of the sailors were about 16 to 19 yearsold, said purchasing director John F. Murray Jr.

Murray said the sailors looked hungry. "Theyweren't overweight," he said. "They were all verylanky."

Harvard Dining Services workers gave a coupleof bottles of California wine to the Russiansailors, Murray said.

"They said next time they come they'll bringsome Russian vodka for us," Murray said.

Many other groups throughout New England joinedHarvard in donating food to the Russian ship.

Speaking through an interpreter, VyachaslavSemenov, deputy to the captain of the Sedov, toldthe Associated Press that while the crew was notstarving the ship, had run low on food supplies.

"I don't have enough words to express mygratitude to the Americans for helping us," hesaid "I wish to express my deepest gratitude, notonly on my behalf but on behalf of the whole crew.I never expected everybody would be so kind andwonderful."

Harvard Dining Services currently donates tofood shelters and homeless shelters. "If we're notgoing to use it, we like to see it go somewhere,"Berry said.

But some Harvard staples will probably remainat the College, joked Edward Carpenter, the diningservices' meat and poultry buyer.

"There weren't any chickwiches," he said. "Thekids here like them too much, and they decided tokeep 'em here.