Inn at Harvard Guests May Use MAC Facilities

By June Shih, Crimson Staff Writer

Guests at the Inn at Harvard can make themselves at home not only at the hotel, but in the University's facilities, as well.

Inn guests, can obtain free passes to use the University's Malkin Athletic Center (MAC) and are allowed to dine at the Faculty Club, General Manager Richard Carbone said yesterday.

Carbone, who twice earlier in the day denied that guests at the Inn have access to the MAC, later confirmed that "two [MAC] passes do exist" and can be signed out by guests who request them.

Carbone said the Inn limits the number of guests using the MAC's facilities, which include an Olympic size pool, a weight room and volley- ball and basketball courts, to two at any giventime.

Access to the MAC is usually restricted toHarvard students and faculty. MAC employeescontacted yesterday said they were unaware of thehotel's policy.

The Inn does not publicize the availability thepasses and provides them only as "an amenity tothe Inn," Carbone said.

"We do it as a convenience for guests...Most ofthe guests are Harvard people anyway," saidCarbone, who emphasized that demand for the passesis low.

Harvard Real Estate Vice President David A.Zewinski, whose company leases the Inn, said heapproves of the idea of distributing passes.

"Attracting guests to the Inn withoutoverburdening facilities is in the University'sfinancial interest," he said.

Guests of he Inn may also eat at the facultyclub and bill their meals to their rooms, Carbonesaid. Use of the faculty club is usually limitedto alumni, faculty members, visiting professorsand guests of the club