Conservative Agenda Dominates Platform

By Joanna M. Weiss, Special to The Crimson

HOUSTON--The first page of the 1992 Republican Platform is a translucent sheet with a portrait of Abraham Lincoln and quotations stating traditional GOP positions.

From is old-fashioned text font to its black and white pictures and drawings, this 123-page platform presents itself as a continuation of Republican tradition. And the document itself, drafted by an overwhelmingly conservative wing of the GOP, holds no surprises. It toes the party line of the Republican right.

Emphasized are domestic issues including the 1992 GOP goals: reform of Congress, a balanced budget amendment, a line-item veto. It focuses on the free market as the solution to social problems.

The Republicans' health care plan, for example would keep the medical industry in the private market. It includes tax credits and deduction for low and middle-income Americans and suggests allowing small businesses to form health-insurance purchasing pools.

The Democrats' plan, proposal said, would cost 712,000 jobs and $36 billion in taxes it its first year. "Instead of preserving individual options, it would rely on government bureaucrats. Instead of preserving quality care, it would lead to rationing and waiting lines," the Republicans platform reads.

Also taking tough criticism form the Republicans is the welfare system, "the enemy of opportunity and stable family life."

Family life is a major focus of the platform. Its title: "Uniting Our Family, Our Country, Our World."

It cites the need to stabilize American families as the principle behind opposition to abortion, opposition to birth control and opposition to abortion services or referrals in public schools.

Despite the best efforts of Gov. Williams F. Weld' 66, who in his Tuesday night speech positioned himself as a leader of pro-choice Republicans, the platform endorses "legislation to make it clear that the Fourteenth Amendment's protections apply to unborn children."

Weld told The Crimson that he thinks the GOP will hold a neutral or pro-choice position in 1996. But David McIntosh, executive director of Vice President Dan Quayle's Councilon Competitiveness, said the Republicans'pro-choice sentiments are too strong to change.McIntosh does, however, predict a shift in theRepublican rhetoric on the issue.

"What you'll wee is a lot less of the emotionalargument and a lot more coupling of pro-lifepositions with campassion for women who are forcedto make those decisions," McIntosh says.

McIntosh says the main difference between theDemocratic and Republican positions isphilosophical.

"I think the key issue is sort of an overridingquestion: What's the role of government?" he said."The Democrats are in favor of government-ledagendas."

By contrast, he says, Republicans try toharness the power of the free market..TheDemocrats are suspicious of that kind ofinnovation."

The Republican platform offers kudos of Quaylefor his tough stand against lawyers. It supportsEnterprise Zones in the inner cities and opposeslegislation to limit the proliferation offirearms. "Those who seek to disarm citizens intheir homes are the same liberals who tried todisarm the nation during the Cold War," it reads.

Among GOP foreign policy positions are acommitment to "maintaining Israel's qualitativemilitary advantage over any adversary."

Republicans hope to retain a significantmilitary presence in Europe, support UnitedNations peacekeeping efforts in Europe and eschewprotectionism in trade policies.

The platform applauds President Bush for"leading an education revolution." Education goalsinclude a "GI Bill for Children" which wouldprovide $1000 scholarships to low and middleincome families so that they can choose schoolsfor their children. The platform also supportsvoluntary prayer in schools, along with therecitation of the Pledge of Allegiance