Harvard Takes Second Olympic Medal

Seaton Nabs Bronze in Women's Crew; U.S. Trails Unified Team in Total Count

Harvard's Olympic medal count jumped OT two this weekend, as rower Anna B. Seaton '86 took a bronze medal in Saturday morning's photo-finish paris race.

Seaton and her partner, Cornell graduate Stephanie Maxwell-Pearson, finished the intense race behind first place Canada and second place Germany. Only eight tenths of a second separated the second, third and fourth place boats.

Elizabeth O'Leary, coach of Harvard's women's crew team, said yesterday that Seaton and Maxwell-Pearson had hoped for a gold medal after promising trial times.

"Everybody goes there to win, and they really, really wanted to win,' O'Leary said. "Anything less than that is sort of a disappointment."

But O'Leary said the women were satisfied with their performance in the intense competition.

"A bronze medal looks pretty darn good," she said. "Anne and Stephanie are two very tough, very aggressive women on the race course, and that's why they have a medal."

Other Harvard rowers did not fare as well. The men's eight and the men's four teams finished fourth in their races Saturday, and the women's eight finished a disappointing sixth on Sunday.

Americans shone in other events. Triple-jumper Mike Conley's record leap led a U.S. medal parade, with baseline players and counterpunchers joining the track and field crowd in a successful day for the United states.

Conley's leap was 59 feet, 7 inches--the second-longest ever. Although the mark won't count because the wind was one-tenth of a meter too strong, he earlier set an Olympic record of 57'10".

The competition is just heating up for boxers Chris Byrd and Oscar de La Hoya, who are guaranteed at least bronze, although two more victories would giveeach the gold. Boxing awards two bronze medals.

Byrd won a one-sided decision over AlgerianAhmed Dine; De La Hoya overcame some shaky scoringto defeat Bulgaria's Dimitrov Tontchev.

The finals in the men's 400 meters aretomorrow, but there's already an Olympic record.Quincy Watts of Los Angeles ripped off a time of43.71 seconds today, snapping the 1968 mark of43.86 set by American Lee Evans in 1968.

The United States was shut out for the firsttime ever in women's spring-board diving, where21-year-old Gao Min of China successfully defendedher gold medal. The best U.S. showing was JulieOvenhouse's fifth; teammate Karen LaFace of FortLauderdale, Fla., finished ninth.

The Unified Team, which won 19 medals Sunday,was the overall leader with 74 medals (32 gold, 23silver and 19 bronze). The United States stoodsecond with 58 medals (19, 20 and 19), while theunified Germany held third with 45 medals (14,11and 20).

China, which won five golds and 28 medals inSeoul, now has 11 golds and 36 medals.

Earlier today, the International OlympicCommittee announced that all 1049 drug tests doneduring the Games through Saturday turned upnegative.

This story was compiled with Crimson andAssociated Press reports.