Union Contract Debate Resumes

Rank and File Discuss Negotiations

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

Amidst cloth-covered cubicles in the Widener Library basement--far from the official negotiating rooms--three rank-and-file members of the Harvard Union of Clerical and technical Workers members are debating the tactics of this summer's negotiations.

Library assistant Geoff Carens says he would have supported stronger union demands, but library assistant James Adler says he thinks this year's modest demands are fair. Carens says he advocates stronger tactics, "group action" in the form of walkouts or sickouts, while library assistant Laura Ruth Jarrett is skeptical of such moves: "That feels like playing their childish game to me."

The three disagree about strategy, but they concur that they aren't alone in expressing concern about the ne- gotiations. Across the University, unionmembers who aren't involved in the day-to-daycontract discussions are talking and thinkingabout the negotiations.

Unlike many other unions, says Graduate Schoolof Design library assistant Emily Scudder,Harvard's does not rely on newsletters and otherliterature to convey its news. Instead, "theybelieve in person-to-person contact, and thatevery member means something to the union," shesaid.

As a consequence, Scudder says, "people feelvery connected to what's happening."

Phone chains regularly bring information to andfrom union members, says Paula L. Cuccarullo, alibrary assistant in Widener's cataloguing room.And discussions abound.

"People are curious," says Scudder, who serveson the Design School area's "joint council," anegotiating body of elected union members andappointed administrators. For every department,library or area, a joint council meets regularlythroughout the year. In addition, each group ofapproximately 33 union members elects arepresentative to the union as a whole.

Scudder says people know her as a unioncontact, and ask her about negotiations when shepasses them in the hallways, as the walks into theoffice in the morning, when she takes her lunchbreak.

The union's information pipeline works wellunder pressure, she says. "We can get informationout to the entire campus within a day."

Carrens, Adler and Jarrett also agree that theyare angry, frustrated with an administration thatthey say treats them with disrespect.

"The union has tried very hard to get alongwith the University," Adler says. But he says hethinks "backstabbing" by some management officialshas hindered the progress of cooperative talks.

"People realize that it's not the wholeadministration," Adler says. He says factionswithin the administration--especially at theBusiness and Medical Schools--Keep negotiationsfrom moving forward. We feel like they're tryingto crush the union," he says.

Skepticism

Other union members share resentment of theadministration and skepticism that theUniversity's financial constraints are as dire asthey are sometimes portrayed.

"I'm a little disgusted with theadministration, that they don't think we'reimportant enough," Cuccarullo says. "I know thingsare tough, but things are a lot tougher for methan they are for Harvard."

As examples of Harvard's affluence, Carenscities a sheet of figures, complied by Unionactivists, that lists the size of Harvard'sendowment, the worth of its net assets and theaverage return on its investments. Furthermore,the current $50 million being spent on Yardconstruction is an example of Harvard's skewedspending priorities, he says.

Union members say they support their currentrepresentatives and trust that negotiations willconclude as the summer ends.

"I have faith that they'll come to anagreement," says Lynn Wing DeLacey, a libraryassistant in Lamont Library. "I think we're allbeing patient, but it's difficult because we allneed to have the contract in place."

I think the morale is high," says Jeffrey W.Booth, a library assistant in Widener. Booth sayshe finds support and interest among exempt staffmembers, professional librarians and lower-levelmanagement.

Union member James P. Sartell, a researchassistant at the Genome Laboratory, says theunion's rallies have also enhanced solidaritywithin the union.

Rallies instill group confidence, he says,"because there are enough people around you andyou can...[know] it isn't just me that feels thisway.

Skepticism