Dearest Yardling...

Breaking Training

By John B. Trainer

Harvard is an academic dynasty, ranked first in the country for most of the past four centuries.

But the last time the football team was ranked first in the country was the 1890s.

While academic has maintained its tradition of excellence--from Ralph Waldo Emerson to Alan Dershowitz--football has not, falling from the Rose Bowl to Division I-AA mediocrity.

Clearly, there has been an erosion of talent over the years, but that's one of the laws of nature. (Even The Dersh is no Emerson.)

However, Harvard hates being anything less than the best--in case you haven't noticed yet. That's why Harvard runs 40 varsity sports, the most of any school in the country. Harvard's athletic department is considered by many as one of the best in the nation--despite the obvious lack of television and bowl appearances.

The football team may never play for the roses and the men's basketball team probably won't reach the NCAA Tournament (although the Ivy League champion gets an automatic bid), there are 38 other sports for the Crimson to excel in.

And it does.

Harvard's flagship sports are the men's hockey team and the women's lacrosse team, both NCAA sports. Both teams have won NCAA titles in the past four years, the only two in Harvard's 56-year association with the NCAA.

The hockey team took the big enchilada in 1989 and has been a national power ever since. Last year, the Crimson was ranked as high as sixth in the nation during a supposed "rebuilding year."

The lacrosse team won it all in 1990. Last year, the team was ranked first in the country for the entire year before it was upset in the NCAA finals by Maryland, 11-10, in overtime.

Both sports, but especially hockey, draw large crowds. Bright Hockey Center is perpetually sold out, so hold on to your coupon books.

Crew, although not an NCAA sport, is another Crimson strength. Men or women, lightweight or heavyweight--it doesn't seem to matter because Harvard and Radcliffe crew rack up the championships year after year. The men's heavyweight squad, under crew legend Coach Harry Parker, won the national championship over the summer for the fifth time since 1983.

Squash is another national championship sport at Harvard. Both the men's and women's teams won top honors last year.

There are other sports which have not reached the top level yet, but which are getting close. The women's field hockey team made the NCAA tournament for its first time ever last year.

The men's soccer team was an NCAA semifinalist in 1987 and ranked first in the country, but has since fallen on tougher times.

The men's tennis team advanced to the second round of its NCAA tournament last year, but it lost its top five players and is not expected to return. Men's rugby went to a national tournament last year, also.

While some alums might still cling to the outdated notion that the Ivy League is the athletic foundation of this country, the rest of us are living in the real world. But the real world isn't that bad.

Even though the football team isn't going to crack the AP Top 25 this season (or in our lifetimes) the conference still generates respect in soccer, tennis, ice hockey, field hockey, basketball (Princeton men only), lacrosse, squash and baseball.

Let's not fool ourselves, however: Harvard is no Michigan. "Ten Thousand Men of Harvard" does not enjoy the universal recognition of "Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame." The Crimson is hardly even mentioned on ESPN, let alone CBS.

But damnit, our women's lacrosse team can beat up any other women's lacrosse team in the country. Just name the time and the place.

Harvard is a serious place. Sports are no exception.