Billy Crystal Onlookers Assist Fallen Student

By D. RICHARD De silva, Crimson Staff Writers

Student gathered outside the Lampoon Castle to see Billy Crystal were stunned yesterday when Theodore M. Klupinski '95 fell from his third floor Claverly Hall fire escape.

Cries of horror rose from the 250 bystanders as they realized what had happened. Two roommates, on the fire escape, looked down in despair.

Four undergraduates rushed from the crowd to aid Klupinski, who lay motionless on the sidewalk after his approximately 36-foot fall.

As the students, at least two of whom were trained in first aid, wrapped Klupinski in a blanket, others attempted to hold the crowd back.

"He had his eyes open and he just looked dazed. Like he was sort of still alive but dying," said Nick E. Tarlov '95, one of the students who attempted to aid Klupinski.

Tarlov said he shouted for help once he realized the seriousness of Klupinski's condition. "It took a few seconds to understand what had happened," he said. "I couldn't believe what was happening in front of me."

Paramedics, who arrived on the scene approximately four minutes after the first call, praised the efforts of Tarlov and the other students.

"It may seem insignificant to some what they did, but it was very impor- -tant. Sometimes people go in the oppositedirection," one ambulance official said.

Students who saw Klupinski fall were visiblyshaken.

"This is one of the most terrible things I haveever seen," said Michael D. Rosenbaum '94, aCrimson photographer. "I was stunned."

As paramedics attended Klupinski, studentsmilled about confused, approaching the bloodyscene then backing away.

Television crews, which rushed from the Castleto the accident scene, were pushed back by thepolice numerous times.

Speaking in hushed tones, students recountedthe incident to others arriving on the scene.

After the ambulance took Klupinski to thehospital, the crowd waited uneasily for 45 minutesuntil Crystal appeared.CrimsonJohn B. TrainerParamedics working at the scene of theaccident.