W. Soccer Beats Maine, 1-0

By John B. Trainer, Crimson Staff Writer

Like a 1972 Pinto, the Harvard women's soccer team's offense has a little trouble getting started.

Yesterday, the offense coughed, sputtered, wheezed and stalled but moved just enough to pick up a 1-0 win over Maine at Ohiri Field in the Crimson's opening game.

Junior Laura Flynn scored the lone goal with 30 minutes gone, first half, on senior Laurie Uustal's assist.

The loss was the fourth in a row for the Black Bears (0-4-0). Harvard is 1-0-0. The Crimson's Ivy opener will be on Sunday at Columbia.

Harvard's rock-solid defensive unit dominated Maine, holding the Black Bears to just two shots in the first half and six overall.

In the meantime, Harvard teed off on the Maine net, generating 24 shots.

Coach Tim Wheaton was not enthusiastic about that 24 to one goal ratio.

"I'd like to have done better," Wheaton said. "I'd like to score more then once on 24 shots, but that's all you can ask for."

The game illustrated the women's soccer team's strengths and weaknesses: a strong defense, capable of carrying the team, and a scattershot offense.

Senior Co-Captain Sharon Olken called her team's inability to score a case of "nerves."

"People are not used to having to score themselves," Olken said. "They have to step up."

The key for Wheaton and the Crimson is whether they can focus those 24 shots.

Otherwise, it will be a nerve-wracking season of 1-0 contests--like this one.