Barrett to Lead City's Campaign for Clinton

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Two Harvard graduates will be assisting the Clinton/Gore 1992 campaign in the Cambridge area.

State Sen. Michael J. Barrett '70 (D-Cambridge) has been named campaign coordinator for Cambridge, Belmont and Watertown. Kenneth A. Bamberger '90, Barrett's press secretary, will serve as Clinton field director for the city of Cambridge.

Bamberger said that Barrett's job will be to coordinate neighborhood campaign organization and visibility efforts.

"That's particularly important in Cambridge, because all of the [Massachusettes] state highways run through Cambridge. People from...all the surrounding states come through Cambridge every day," said Bamberger.

He cautioned against taking for granted a Democratic vote by Massachusetts.

"In the last election, Dukakis only won by about eight points," he said. "Eight points by an incumbent governor in his own state is not good."

Bamberger said he thinks the campaign is "very exciting. I really believe very strongly in Bill Clinton's message. If he gets elected, I think we'll see a real change in this country."

Bamberger said his job will be to run all the day-to-day campaign operations in Cambridge. He said all of the local neighborhoods will be well-organized towards "getting out the vote" as the campaign progresses.

Other groups in the Boston area will be working on drawing voters this fall. The Harvard Rock Cafe in Boston will hold voting registration next Wednesday from noon to 7 p.m.

The event will be part of MTV's "Rock the Vote," an attempt to spur interest in the 18-24 year old age group, which generally has a low voting record. There will be a live broadcast from the restaurant from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on WBCN Radio and several area bands will perform throughout the afternoon.