Lions Must Wait Yet Another Year

FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK

By John B. Trainer, Crimson Staff Writer

The entire history of Columbia football has been one long cry of "wait 'til next year!" This year won't be an exception (neither will the next 10), but Lions diehards can take solace from the performance of sophomore quarterback Chad Andrzejewski last weekend.

Andrzejewski--rhymes with Kryzewski--impressed coaches and players on both sides with his scrappy style in his first collegiate game.

"[Andrzejewski] had so much guts," said Harvard quarterback Mike Giardi, a man who knows about poise behind a collapsing line. "He just hung in there."

Andrzejewski threw 36 times, completing 20 for 181 yards. He also threw three interceptions and was sacked five times. But those last numbers say more about the quality of Columbia's offensive line (think GE toaster after the warranty expires) than Andrzejewski's play.

Harvard junior Brian Ramer, who chased Andrzejewski all afternoon and intercepted him twice, grinned ruefully when asked about the Lion sophomore.

"Number 11? I thought I had him a few times, but he's a really strong guy," Ramer said. "He's an excellent quarterback and reads the blitz well. He kept running away from me, though."

Columbia Coach Ray Tellier said he was "real pleased" with his QB. He should be. Maybe next year the Lions could have something.

Or maybe not.

Des "Boom Boom" Werthman: Columbia is so thin at fullback, Tellier turned to his superstar middle linebacker to add some punch to the backfield. Thus, Des Werthman (10 tackles, two assists and a forced fumble against Harvard) found himself with the ball in goal line situations.

Werthman was hardly the dominating goal-line pilemover Tellier was hoping for. In the second quarter, Werthman twice tried to score from the I and failed. All told, his numbers (five carries for five yards and two TDs) were solid but unspectacular.

He may be one of the best linebackers in the Ivy League, but he's no Refrigerator.

(II)logical Multiflex: Restic's Multiflex is situation-oriented: in a certain situation against a certain defense, a certain play will be called, often regardless of the personnel.

This sometimes fails to take full advantage of the talent on the field. The latest exhibit is senior fullback Mike Hill.

Hill had an exceptional first half against Columbia, running 11 times for 84 yards--more than double his career total. Logic would predict that Hill would be the primary ball carrier in the second half.

The Multiflex, however, sometimes invents its own logic. In the second half, Restic gave the ball to Hill a mere four times. The Leverett senior ended up losing two yards, giving him 82 yards on the day.

So goes the Socratic Multiflex.

Fied-ler of Dreams: The Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week was Dartmouth quarterback Jay Fiedler, who tied an Ancient Eight record with five touchdown passes against Pennsylvania. Fiedler ended the day 15 of 26 for 203 yards.

Defensive Player of the Week honors went to Princeton linebacker Aaron Harris, who made an amazing 13 solo tackles (17 overall), blocked on extra point and killed Cornell's final drive with a fourth-down pass breakup.

Tops in Defense: Harvard tops two statistical categories in the Ivy League: rushing defense and total defense. The Crimson allowed just 13 yards on the ground and 194 yards overall against Columbia. Dartmouth is next best, with 254 yards allowed.

Ramer is tied for first in the league in interceptions. But like .400 averages and projected 92 home run seasons, these stats won't last the month.