Netwomen Kick Off Fall Season

Host Invitational Tourney; Hope to Gain Game Experience, Hone Skills

By Mark S. Goh, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard women's tennis team is gearing up for this weekend's Harvard Invitational Tennis Tournament, although many of the top players may be sidelined with injuries.

The defending Ivy champion Crimson will host teams from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Providence, Rice and Seton Hall at the Beren Tennis Center.

For the Harvard players who have dodged the injury bug, this weekend's tournament at the Beren Tennis Center should provide and excellent opportunity to hone certain parts of their game in preparation for the upcoming fall team schedule.

"The important thing for this weekend is to get some matches under our belts before team competition begins next weekend," senior Erika Elmuts said. "We just have to go out, play the kind of tennis we know how to play and let the chips fall where they may."

Although this weekend's results will have no effect on the Ivy team standings, the tournament's competition looks to be fierce. The defending Ivy League champion Crimson will host a number of top collegiate women's tennis players.

Seton Hall freshmen Kristen Downing, winner of the New England Women's Open Championship, looks to be one of the more exciting players to watch this weekend.

Game Experience

For Harvard, this weekend's main priority is gathering game experience. Indeed, Coach Gordon Graham anticipates each of his 10 tournament entries will play at least one singles match and one doubles match for each of the three days.

Additionally, the tournament will not use an elimination format; rather, consolation rounds will allow each player to receive equal court time.

Unfortunately, injuries will make it impossible for a number of Harvard players to take advantage of this opportunity. Junior Co-Captain Melissa McNabb and sophomore Cisca Mok will not return until the spring, while a hip injury to senior Rachel Pollack may restrict her play time.

With this loss of experience in the starting ranks, even more responsibility will fall on the shoulders of Elmuts and junior Co-Captain Eliza Parker, both of whom are hoping to contend for the number one singles spot on the team.

Despite a slight pull in her quadricep, Elmuts will still play this weekend in flight A, one of the most competitive of the four singles flights.

Also in flight A for the Crimson is freshman Kate Roiter, an aggressive full-court player with great potential.

Parker, meanwhile, joins promising young freshman Kelly Granat in singles flight B.

Optimistic Graham

Although he admits that it is early in the season, Graham remains optimistic about the team's future.

"We seem to be working hard and getting along. Once everyone gets to know their roles better, we should be able to carry over our success from last year," the coach said.

If all goes well this weekend, that time could come sooner than expected.