Clinton Speaks to 45,000

Calls on Voters to Bring About `Greatest Age in American History'

By Brian D. Ellison, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Bill Clinton used familiar rhetoric to convey his campaign themes at a huge Quincy Market rally yesterday, part of a New England swing designed to raise money as well as public support.

Hundreds of Harvard students, demonstrating both for and against Clinton, were among a crowd police estimated at 45,000.

According to polls, Clinton enjoyed a comfortable lead in Massachusetts before the rally. A Boston Herald/WCVB-TV poll gave Clinton a 59-27 percent lead over Bush.

But finances, as much as publicity, may have provided the motivation for the late-campaign visit.

After his speech, Clinton attended two fund-raisers--a $100-a-head cocktail party and a $1000-a-plate dinner--which were expected to raise $1.5 million for his campaign.

Clinton delivered his stump speech with a few variations, mainly emphasizing his "vision for America" and a need for change in the White House.

"This could be the greatest age in American history," the Arkansas governor said, urging voters to bring fresh leadership to the presidency. "It is up to you to make it so."

Clinton used the Boston area's abundance of colleges and universities to call attention to his plan for "opening the doors of college education to all Americans."

He said Massachusetts has the "best system of higher education...in the entire Western world."

According to Gregory S. Chernak '93, head of Harvard/Radcliffe for Clinton/Gore, between 400 and 500 undergraduate Clinton supporters made the trek downtown.

Chernak said the rally sent the nominee an important message.

"It shows Bill Clinton how strongly Massachusetts is behind him," Chernak said.

Clinton spoke in front of a set of bleachers that campaign staffers filled with local students, including a large crowdfrom Boston University and a contingent from theClinton (Mass.) High School band.

In addition to promoting his own agenda,Clinton took several jobs at President Bush, mostnotably for declining to debate Clinton last weekin East Lansing, Mich.

"It isn't that he's a bad debater," Clintonsaid. "How do you explain the worst economicperformance in 50 years?"

More than an hour of other speeches precededthe Arkansas governor's 25-minute address.Speakers ranged from new Boston City CouncillorBruce P. Bolling to former Massachusetts Senatorand 1992 presidential candidate Paul E. Tsongas.

Boston Mayor Raymond F. Flynn, who introducedClinton along with Tsongas and U.S. Rep. Joseph P.Kennedy II (D-Mass.), said the commonwealth haslost 390,000 jobs since Bush took office. Of thosejobs, 260,000 were lost after Gov. William F. Weld'66 was elected in 1990.

Tsongas told audience members that if they careabout the environment, education of the right tochoose an abortion, "here is your president."

Clinton lauded Tsongas, whom he defeated forthe party nomination, thanking him for his"courageous campaign to restore America."

Members of the Harvard Republican Club alsoattended the rally, holding sings to support theBush/Quayle ticket. The Harvard Republicans wereamong several hundred Bush/Quayle supporters whoheld signs and demonstrated in the audience at therally.

The GOP fans drew boos and occasionally enteredinto arguments during the speeches precedingClinton's, but were largely quiet during thecandidate's talk.

Republican politicians countered Clinton'sappearance by staging their own speeches at theSamuel Adams statue, near the Democrats' rallysite.

Lt. Gov. Paul Cellucci attacked Clinton, sayinghis plan for defense cuts would cost Massachusettsjobs.

Cellucci and other GOP speakers, however, weredrowned out by chanting Democrats, includingFlynn.

Republican officials refused to concedeMassachusetts to Clinton, saying a Bush win isstill achievable, particularly if Texasbillionaire Ross Perot re-enters the race, as heis expected to do Monday.

Campaign officials said yesterday that Bush hastentatively scheduled a visit to Massachusettsnext Friday. No further details were available.CrimsonGov. BILL CLINTON