Candidates Jockey For Council Chair

Potential Student Reps State Positions, Platforms

By Rodolfo J. Fernandez, Contributing Reporter

Three weeks away from the Undergraduate Council's first meeting, potential candidates for chair are already jockeying for position in what appears to be a wide field.

Students will elect representatives October 7, 8 and 9. Council members, in turn, elect the chair in their first meeting scheduled for October 18.

Malcolm A. Heinicke '93, J. D. LaRock '95 and David L. Duncan '93 indicated yesterday that they would seek the council's stop position.

Council members have also said that Michael P. Beys '94 would enter the race. Officially, council members need not declare an intention to run for chair until the first meeting.

Among candidates interviewed yesterday, the pressing issue appeared to be the council's image. Last year the body drew sharp criticism for its De La Soul concert that lost about $10,000 and for its delayed spring grant allocations.

Heinicke, last year's vice-chair, yesterday offered a positive assessment of the council's efforts.

"The work of the council's committee was very good, and a number of our projects were very successful," Heinicke said.

"Our shuttle service ran well, and I thought we handled the ROTC and date rape issues very well," he said.

But LaRock, publicity director last year, said the council requires a complete overhaul.

"The council has never been this bad," LaRock said. "This council is incredibly divided, and there is a lot of tension going around."

Duncan, a representative from Winthrop House, also suggested reform, although he was more specific in his criticism.

"[We need to] get back the confidence of the student body and reform the grant allocation process," Duncan said.

Duncan said he thought the council should steerclear of divisive campus issues, like date rapeand ROTC.

LaRock, too, criticized the council for beingoverly politicized. "The Undergraduate Council isnot designed to be a haven for pre-politicians andthat is exactly what it has turned out to be,"LaRock said.

Beys, who was treasurer last spring and chairof the finance committee last fall, also organizedthe Spin Doctors concert last spring, in additionto the De La Soul concert.

Position papers for council general electionsare due Friday, October 2 at the council's officein Canaday B