Sackler Museum Shows Mexican Photographer

By Robin J. Stamm, Contributing Reporter

As part of a celebration of Mexican culture, a special photography exhibit entitled "Revelaciones: the Art of Manuel Alvarez Bravo" is underway at the Arthur M. Sackler Museum.

The exhibit displays work from the six-and-a-half decade career of Bravo, one of Mexico's leading photographers.

Organized by the Museum of Photographic Arts in San Diego, the photographs are presented as part of a celebration of Mexican culture, co-sponsored by Raza, Harvard's Mexican-American students association.

Raza President Lilia Fernandez '95 said she is pleased to see the promotion of Mexican art.

"I am really glad the Fogg has chosen to bring Mexican artists," Fernandez said. "It's not often that we see a Latino exhibit at a museum."

The "Revelaciones" exhibit, which showcasesscenes of daily life in Mexico, features portraitsof influential Mexican artists of the 1930s, suchas painter Frieda Kahlo and her muralist husbandDiego Rivera, both close friends of Bravo.

Included in the exhibit is a photograph ofRussian revolutionary Leon Trotsky, a lover ofKahlo. Historians have speculated that Kahlo mayhave been an accomplice in Trotsky's assassinationin Mexico City.

Bravo's works are praised for "the quality oflight and soft tones of print," according toArthur Ollman, the executive director of theMuseum of Photographic Arts.

Jean Stromer, who viewed the photographsyesterday, said she was also struck by its use oflight. "The exhibit reminds me of the years Ispent in Mexico as a child," she said.

Some of the other events planned next week forthe campus-wide "Festival Mexicano!" areperformances by the Boston-based dance groupXuchipilli and musical groups Mariachi Chapala andthe Mili Bermejo and Dan Greenspan Duo + 1. Therewill also be arts and crafts workshops and araffle.

Other Latin-American groups have joined Raza inhave helped to publicized the exhibit in theHarvard and Boston area