Dining Services Redo Packaging

Begin `Shared Responsibility'

By Ann M. Imes, Contributing Reporter

Harvard Dining Services has introduced glass sugar dispensers and tubs of margarine and butter in many College houses as part of its ongoing environmental campaign.

The changes were made after Winter Break in conjunction with "Shared Responsibility," a program initiated by Director of Dining Service Michael W. Berry in early 1991.

In addition to the changes in shortening and sugar packaging, which eliminate waste paper, paper cups were removed from many of the dining halls. Most of the dining halls which have not yet removed the butter pats or sugar packets will do so soon, according to dining service supervisors.

Although each dining hall is making slightly different changes, all have the same overall goals. Last spring, Berry hired Eco-Logical Solutions, an environmental consulting firm, to install a program in each dining hall which would promote several objectives including waste reduction, increased recycling and energy conservation.

Ridwan Himawan, supervisor of the Quincy House dining hall, said the Quincy House program is "running better than expected."

"The employees are getting into it," said Himawan. "So far, so good."

In addition, students in the house will soon have to grind their own coffee beans bought in bulk and all employees will have their own John Harvard mugs. Houses will also install aerators on all faucets and flow restrictors on high pressure sprayers to reduce water waste.

Edward D. Hopes, supervisor of the Lowell House dining hall, said the dining hall is "buying most of their products in bulk and even more items can go in bulk without affecting the food quality."

Melinda J. Leonard, supervisor at the Union,said she is pleased with the environmentalcampaign.

"The employees are working to make it asuccessful project," Leonard said.

Some students, however, were not as pleasedwith the dining service changes.

"I like the convenience of butter pats," saidTaniya N. deSilva '96.

While she supported the "environmental reasonsbehind the changes," Monica L. Stemmle '96 saidthe butter tubs annoyed her.

"I like to take the butter back to my room, andthe tubs will make it more difficult," Stemmlesaid