Harvard Alumni May Purchase Boston Globe

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

A pair of Harvard graduates are rumored to be prepared to buy The Boston Globe.

Speculation yesterday focused upon Donald E. Graham '66, publisher of The Washington Post and Robert W. Decherd '73, chairman of the A.H. Belo Corp., which owns the Dallas Morning News.

Graham declined to comment last night. Decherd could not be reached for comment.

Several sources who work for The Globe said talk of the newspaper's sale has been rampant among employees. The sources said that although facts are scarce, the Belo and Post corporations are being mentioned as the two most likely investors.

Media investor Warren Buffet, a major shareholder in The Post, is also talked about as being part of a possible deal.

Rumors also included talk that The Post and Belo could merge with The Globe's parent company, Affiliated Publications.

Television networks aired brief reports on the rumors last night, and said a statement from The Globe is expectedtoday.

A spokesperson for The Globe was unavailablelast night.

Rumors about the sale of The Globe haveappeared before and been greatly exaggerated. Onesource said "I know that everybody in the Globenewsroom thinks that paper's for sale, but it'snot, as far as I know."

The Globe's board reportedly met yesterday.

Belo owns several television stations, inaddition to the Dallas paper and The Post ownsNewsweek magazine. Graham and Decherd were bothpresidents of the Crimson. They co-chaired of arecent capital campaign for the paper which raisedmore than $2 million