HDS Aims to Help Students Eat Healthy

`Nutrition Bites' in Dining Halls Educates About Calorie, Fat, Protein Content

By Kunchin K. Lin

Institutional food is not noted for its nutritional value, as any first-year who has put on the traditional "freshman 15" can attest.

But while Harvard Dining Services isn't claiming to be a Weight Watchers clinic, a new program called "Nutrition Bites" is aimed at helping students understand the nutritional values of everything they eat in their dining halls.

A hefty book placed at each dining checker's desk holds page after page of computer printouts listing each dish's nutritional composition including calories, cholesterol and fat content and grams of protein.

The reasoning behind the nutritional revelations is to allow students to make informed eating choice, said HDS Coordinator of Production Michael Miller.

The intent is not to preach or cause guilt in dieters, however, Miller said. Fried foods, ice cream and other student favorites, despite high fat or low protein, will not leave the menu any time within the millennium.

HDS is working to use healthier cooking methods, Miller said. Canola oil is now used for baking, frying and grilling of meat, he said, and all vegetables are prepared with olive oil.

HDS also plans to experiment with "Promise" cooking oil, Miller said, which will take at least some of the grease off students' greasy spoons.

Miller explained that the nutritional data in Nutrition Bites are obtained from USDA. These data are keyed into a menu management software program along with recipes for the preparation of each item.

A "pointer" system distinguishes the nutritional values of an ingredient when it is cooked in different fashions--for instance, the calories and protein of carrots prepared fresh, steamed and in beef stew.

Additional innovations include new menu item labels posted on the serving line by each dish. The labels will indicate nutritional values and point the new food item which is planned for every week.

And to improve communication with students, HDS has hired a nutrition specialist-dietitian who will tour dining halls, interpret student demands and evaluate the success of the menu in providing diverse options.