On A Crash Course With the Supercollider

Medical School Plans Asian American Health Conference Saturday

By Carrie L. Zinaman

In an effort to educate and break the silence on issues pertaining to Asian Americans, Medical School students from the Asian Health Association and Ayurveda will hold a one-day conference this Saturday on Asian Americans and health care.

"Breaking the Silence: Asian Americans and Health Care," to be held this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Medical School's Amphitheater D, is the highlight of October, designated Asian Health Care Month by the event's organizers.

The conference will feature presentations by Asian American leaders followed by panel discussions with audience participation.

The speakers will include Suki Terada Ports, executive director and founder of the Family Health Project, Inc. and New York City's Minority Task Force on AIDS, and Helen Zia, former executive editor of Ms. Magazine.

Issues such as anti-Asian, domestic, and gang violence, HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, aging in the Asian community and the role of Asian Americans in the current national health care plan will be discussed.

According to second year medical student Patty K. Lee, one of the event's organizers, "part of the motivation for the conference is that there is a large proportion of Asian Americans represented in the medical field and in research, but a disproportionate amount of discussion about concerns and things that confront Asian Americans."

Registration for the event will take place Saturday at 8 a.m., but Lee recommends advance registration in order to assure seating.

For further information and free registration, those interested should call 432-9016 or 432-9020.