U.C. Names Lo to Oversee Gen. Election

By Tara H. Arden-smith

In an emergency meeting called by Undergraduate Council Chair Michael P. Beys '94 last night amidst questions and confusion about the election process, R. Gin Lo '94 was unanimously voted overseer of the upcoming general election.

On Thursday, the deadline for candidates to declare for the council election had been extended from yesterday to Monday afternoon by mandate of Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III after students complained that they had not been informed about the election process.

Epps also ordered the council to name a student who is not running for an executive council position to supervise the election, in response to concerns that Beys and council Secretary Randall A. Fine '96--both of whom are reportedly intending to run for executive offices--were exerting inappropriate control over the election.

Lo, currently the co-chair of the services committee, is neither running for re-election to the executive council, nor does she plan to join the council at all in the upcoming school year.

Yesterday, publicity for the council election had not yet spread significantly through the dorms and houses, as first-years and upperclass students interviewed were still not aware of the upcoming deadline to declare candidacy.

"I don't know what's going to happen if they cannot or will not get [the organization of the election] done," Epps said. "But if they do not, that does raise questions about the legitimacy of the council."

Questions remain about last night's meeting and the election, as Beys initially was to hold an open meeting for anyone interested to attend, then apparently changed his mind.

Lo said she received a message early yesterday evening that initial plans for an open meeting were dropped when Beys opted to call a closed conference, with Fine to act as chair.

"It seemed like Mike was trying to make a quick move to take over," Lo said before the meeting.

But Beys suddenly reversed back to his original plan for the meeting, unexpectedly showing up in person, with several non-executive board members present.

Among those, Lo said, were several reportersfrom The Harvard Salient, a conservative campuspublication.

"I don't know what he was trying to do, andright now it's still unclear to me whether I'll berunning the election by myself, or together withMike [Beys], or even with Mike as my supervisor,"Lo said.

Time is running out for those issues to bedecided, though, with the application deadlinelooming just two days away.

Epps voiced concern in an interview yesterdaythat despite his order Thursday that the candidacyprocess be publicized, students continue to pleadignorance.

"As far as I was aware, the council planned toposter and to make announcements in the dininghalls," he said.

But students said that even as of yesterdaythey had heard nothing. "I haven't seen anypublicity at all," said Timothy R. Aragon '97, aresident of Lionel Hall.

Aragon said that he would have consideredrunning for a council seat if he had been awarethat the process was beginning. He said he learnedof the deadline and subsequent extension from hisconversation with The Crimson, and may now declarehis candidacy.

The lack of awareness about the councilelections extends beyond the Yard, despite anadvertisement in yesterday's Crimson andannouncements made by council Treasurer Carey W.Gabay '94 in the Quincy House dining hall.

Kirkland House resident Dominic J. Allocco '95said that he had heard nothing of this year'scouncil elections.

Mather House

And in Mather House, where Beys resides, Jim L.Tierney '96 also did not know of the elections. "Iabsolutely am not aware of any announcements aboutU.C.," he said.

No one answered the phone yesterday at thecouncil's office in Canaday B, which is doublingas election headquarters for candidacyapplications, and which in past years has beenstaffed with council members available to answerquestions.

Beys did not return phone calls made to hisroom yesterday

Mather House