EPC Says Conc.'s Require Changes

By Alessandra M. Galloni

After two semesters of research and drafting, the Educational Policy Committee (EPC) released a report yesterday suggesting how to improve undergraduate concentrations.

The document, circulated to all faculty members for review, offers 15 suggestions such as increased small group instruction by faculty, the requirement of senior projects and improved academic advising. It also proposes formalizing the sequence of concentration courses.

The report, which is the first review of undergraduate concentrations in 15 years, will form the basis for discussion among department and instructional committee members, said Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles. Any reforms, which must pass a Faculty vote, could take effect as early as the next academic year, Knowles said.

"These are not recommendations but items for discussion," he said yesterday. "If this discussion paper leads to developments within the concentrations along the lines suggested, it will benefit every aspect of undergraduate life."

The report suggests that "all concentrations should culminate in some form of independent work with a written component for all concentrators," Dean of Undergraduate Education Lawrence Buell said.

Knowles said each department will discuss if and how to implement such a "capstone" experience in the next few months.

The report also suggests that each concentration formulate require- ments based on a sequence of indispensablecourses which forms the backbone of theconcentration.

In order to enhance student participation insmall group instruction, the report suggestsreducing the target section size from the currentstandard of 20 students.

The responsibility of teaching group tutorialsor other small group instruction should be dividedbetween junior and senior faculty membersproportionately to the numbers of facultyaffiliated with the concentration, suggests thereport.

And "a teaching fellow should be assigned toadvise a senior thesis only when all the facultymembers who can appropriately advise the thesisare fully committed."

The changes suggested by the report, especiallythe reductions of class size and greater facultyinvolvement in small group instruction, couldrequire increased funding, Buell said.

The first consultations regarding the reportwill begin at the semiannual meeting of thedepartment chairs. During the winter, the EPC willmeet with department members to discuss theirresponses to the suggestions, Buell said.

"I would hope that as this report becomespublic knowledge, students individually and ingroups would let their feelings be known," hesaid