Hundreds Contribute To Support Fire Victims

By Elizabeth M. Angell

More than 300 people collected about $3,500 at a fundraiser last Saturday for the victims of the recent fire in Central Square.

John Clifford, chair of International Restaurants of Harvard Square, said the benefit, held at the Middle East Restaurant, provided food, music and dance for concerned citizens and victims of the fire.

"It was a real community effort," Clifford said. "Central Square people like coming together to help each other."

Entertainment included performances by Gordon Michaels of House of Blues, Patric LaCroix and Ensemble, the Anointed Choir and Donnell Patterson of GNE Productions, accompanying the Maynard School Children and St. Paul's AME Choir vocalists.

The fund raising effort will continue with a Halloween party for area children and a raffle drawing on October 31. To date, more than $35,000 has been raised towards the overall goal of $50,000.

Major contributors to the fund thus far include Harvard Realty, the Harvard Rotary Club and Putnam Furniture, which donated both money and beds. Private donations of $50 to $100 comprise a large percentage of thefunds raised, Clifford said.

Cynthia Griffin of Cambridge Human Servicessaid 90 percent of the families left homeless bythe fire have been placed by the Housing Authorityin their buildings. Others received Section Eightassistance--vouchers which ensure that only 30percent of the family's income will go towardsrent.

Griffin said some of the victims dealt with thetragedy better than others.

"Many of the victims are having a delayedreaction. It's a difficult situatio," she said.

Though the money raised has not yet been madedirectly available to the victims, the promise ofaid and the outpouring of support "definitely helpa lot," Griffin said.

Harvard Realty has donated temporary apartmentsto victims whose damaged homes are beingrenovated. Some damaged homes will be habitable bythe beginning of November, Griffin said