Reeves Advocates Greater Community Service Activism

By Terry H. Lanson

Harvard students should play a larger role in the Cambridge community, Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 said yesterday in a reception at Winthrop House.

Reeves, who is running for reelection on November 2, urged a group of 10 students to become more involved in community service and political activities.

"It is very important that Harvard students understand that they are an integral part of the city," Reeves said. "In a democracy, it takes the participation of all the citizens, and students are citizens."

Reeves, a member of the Phillips Brooks House (PBH) advisory committee, said community involvement is an excellent learning opportunity--a "little laboratory" for learning about politics and social action.

"We have a bite-sized sample of the problems of the nation, and we can learn from them," he said.

Turn Schools 'Upside Down'

The mayor said the city has implemented several progressive programs, including universal health care and the nation's oldest school choice system. "We're ahead of Bill and Hillary Clinton in health care," Reeves said.

If re-elected, he said he "would like to turn the public schools upside down."

Reeves also said the Harvard, MIT, the business community and the residential community, must all be treated as important members of a single community.

He criticized Harvard for not contributing adequately to the community, although he said he has seen signs of improvement.

"Harvard is a multi-billion dollar concern that doesn't pay taxes," he said. "And Harvard comes and says 'we don't give to capital needs.'"

"I think Harvard wants to change," he said. "I have been very impressed by Neil Rudenstine and his ability to understand how Harvard must do better."

Tim E. Codrington '95, co-chair of the Carribean Club, said he appreciated Reeves' taking the time to speak to a small group of students. Though he is not currently involved in the political process, "I might volunteer after this meeting."

The reception, in Winthrop's junior common room, was hosted by the Carribean Club, the Black Students Association, and the Association of Black Radcliffe Women.