Late Cornell Goal Drops W. Soccer, 1-0

Big Red Converts Corner Kick With 1:30 To Play in Second Overtime for Victory

By Michael E. Ginsberg

The Harvard women's soccer team found out on Saturday that games last a little longer with the Big Red. But they don't bring much satisfaction.

After 118 minutes of scoreless soccer, Cornell (3-2-0 overall, 2-0-0 Ivy) converted a corner kick with 1:30 left to play in the second overtime for a heartbreaking 1-0 win over Harvard (2-3-1, 1-1-0) in Ithaca, N.Y.

This is the third time in three years Harvard has failed to clinch a win over rival Cornell. Last year, the teams fought to a 1-1 tie, and in 1991 Harvard suffered a 2-1 loss.

"To play as hard as we did and come away with a loss was definitely disappointing," junior midfielder Genevieve Chelius said.

The Cornell goal came on a beautifully placed corner kick that was headed into the Crimson's net by Cornell junior Amy Duesing for the decisive score.

"It was a high corner kick that stayed high and close to the goal, and they crashed the net," Harvard freshman Dana Tenser said.

Harvard dominated a good portion of the game on both sides of the field, but couldn't capitalize on its scoring opportunities.

The Crimson's best shot at a goal came late in regulation play: A head ball by junior forward Libby Eynon was stopped just in front of the goal on a fine save by Cornell goalie Sue Delong (nine saves).

Scoring a Problem

Scoring continues to be a problem for the Crimson. Except for a three-goal outburst against Boston College, the team has managed only one goal and has now been shut out four times in six games.

On defense, the Crimson hung tough. Led by Chelius and senior goalie Brooke Donahoe (also nine saves), the Crimson stymied the Big Red offense through the marathon affair.

Chelius helped force the overtime when she cleared a Cornell corner kick away from a vulnerable Harvard goal in the second half to frustrate Cornell's best scoring chance.

Another game, another shutout loss, but co-captain Laura Flynn said the team is still on the upswing.

"This is the best game we've played all season," she said. "It's definitely disappointing, but we have no regrets."