Group Urges Fire Investigation

Eviction-Free Zone Members Cite Previous Problems

By Jeffrey C. Milder

A Cambridge tenant interest group raised questions at last night's City Council meeting about Friday's Central Square fire and urged the city to investigate the circumstances of the fire.

Representatives of the Cambridge Eviction Free Zone cited previous problems at the Coolidge Place apartments which caught fire. "The severe rat problems at the building" led residents to demand reduced rents at a Zone-sponsored hearing last Wednesday, according to Jean Charles.

"We are very concerned about a fire taking place so closely on the heels of organizing like this," Charles said. "We are further concerned any time that rent control buildings are destroyed by fire on prime developable land."

Eviction Free Zone officals said that city law allows the owner to redevelop rent-controlled property which has been destroyed or damaged extensively,

The group called for a complete investigation of the causes of the fire. It also requested that residents of the destroyed buildings be allowed to testify to the Cambridge Fire Chief, and that they be presented with the finding of any investigation.

Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 praised the attempts of Cantabrigians to help the victims of the eight-alarm fire, which left 100 people homeless. "This [fire] has been our largest tragedy in over a decade, in terms of families involved," he said.

Reeves cited efforts by the Red Cross and the Cambridge school system to collect clothing for displaced families. He also thanked two local restaurants for serving meals to the victims.

Councillor Sheila T. Russell noted the strong spirit that emerged in Cambridge after the fire. "When a tragedy like this happens, the best in people comes out," she said.