D'Souza, Kennedy Speak About Multiculturalism

By Kathryn M. Meneely

Multiculturalism should be introduced to the University curriculum but must not be watered down so as to be "politically correct," writer Dinesh D'Souza and Professor of Law Randall Kennedy said in speeches at Boylston Hall last night.

Before an audience of more than 100, D'Souza, author of the controversial book Illiberal Education, said incorporating both global and traditional European views into education is proving difficult.

"This is a debate about what people learn," D'Souza said.

The scholar acknowledged that Western culture and history have long been informed by prejudice. As a result, he said, American college students must learn about the accomplishments of all societies.

"Western culture is big. Western history is racist, sexist, heterosexist, and so on." D'Souza said. "Curriculum is biased in fact and favor of white males."

"Non-western cultures have produced many great works, many great classics," he added. "These must be studied." D'Souza warned, however, that lowering standards to promote multiculturalism could be dangerous.

"Non-western classics in the main tend to be politically incorrect." D'Souza said, "Bogus multicultural readings [those that are specifically selected to conform to popular views] reflect less of a true heritage of the Non-western world."

In a shorter speech, Kennedy said he was troubled that extreme thinking has become the focus of the debate over multiculturalism. He said scholars must realize that they can teach about both Western and non-Western cultures.

"People are so hot to see a squabble and a fight," Kennedy said. "That's entertainment."