Walton Takes Honors After Team's First Win

Brown Deals Tigers First Loss of Season

The Ivy League honored Harvard field hockey co-captain Francie Walton with its Player of the Week award for her offensive efforts (scoring four goals) against Springfield last Wednesday.

Walton has been the big story on offense for the Crimson, scoring six of her team's seven goals since the start of the season. She is the first Harvard player to receive the weekly award this season.

But while Harvard has been struggling at the bottom of the standings, Brown pulled off the biggest upset of the year to date, shocking 12th-ranked Princeton at Brown Saturday, 1-0.

The Tigers had defeated then-19th-ranked Lafayette and 16th-ranked Rutgers to move high in the national rankings before the loss dropped them back to 15th.

Pennsylvania, tied with Brown atop the Ancient Eight at 1-0, moved onto the Division I poll list with victories over Ursinus and West Chester. The Quakers play the Crimson this Saturday at Cumnock Field.

It's just two games into the Ivy League season, but citing a tight race the Ancient Eight has re-released its championship tie-breaking procedure since this is the first year the Ivy champions have an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament.

A two-way tie would be decided by a one-game playoff on Saturday, November 6. Ties between three or more teams will be settled by playoff games that Saturday and Sunday, using an existing seeding formula. The first element of that formula is head-to-head results during the regular season.

Note: the statistics at left do not include yesterday's games.