Several Poisoned By Food

By Carrie L. Zinaman

At least one student was the victim of bacterial food poisoning last Sunday night, and the student said yesterday that University Health Services (UHS) officials told him that several other students were also afflicted recently.

Mike A. Theriault '94 was diagnosed with Cyterbachterjejuni, a bacterial illness caused by handling infected animals or eating uncooked affected poultry.

While it is unclear where Theriault ingested the bacteria, he said his Sunday dinner in Dunster House included leftover chicken pot pie. At 10 p.m. he was stricken with a headache and dizziness, which worsened to severe chills, a cold sweat, and diarrhea.

Theriault remained in his room until Tuesday, when his symptoms worsened, and he checked into Stillman Infirmary at UHS. The Mather House resident was released from the infirmary yesterday.

Theriault said Stillman officials told him four or five similar cases were diagnosed this past week. A UHS staff information last night, saying, "It is an invasion of privacy to discus anybody's disease on the phone."

Theriault was careful to say that there is no proof he contracted the disease from the Dunster House food, but said, "It is a good guesstimate."

"I haven't handled infected animals since mydays on the farm, so it was probably the chicken,"Theriault said.

Theriault said he does not blame the DunsterDining Hall staff.

"I know it's a hard job to make food for 100people," he said. "I think it was unfortunate andit is something that the dining hall should beaware of so they can hopefully prevent it in thefuture."

Dunster Dining Hall Assistant Manager Nora Dahlsaid that neither Theriault nor UHS has contactedthe house about the incident as of yesterday.

"I feel the situation is unfortunate and I feelbadly for Mike," Dahl said. "Hopefully, there willbe some answers from the clinic next week."

Dunster residents interviewed yesterday saidthey had not yet heard of the incident.

"I'd be surprised because I've never heardanything negative about Dunster's dining hall,"said Sandra E. Cha '96. "If such an incident didtranspire, we should all be informed.