M. Soccer Stuns Dartmouth, 1-0

By Michael E. Ginsberg

Warning to NCAA men's soccer tournament hopefuls: don't pack your bags for the tourney until after you've played Harvard.

After crushing 17th-ranked Hartwick 4-1 last Wednesday, Harvard (5-8-1 overall, 2-2-1 Ivy) continued its terrorizing of contenders with a 1-0 upset of Dartmouth Saturday at Chase Field in Hanover, N.H.

"It was great to go to another team's home field and knock them out of the tournament," said freshman goalie Peter Albers.

In front of a large homecoming crowd including former Dartmouth player Andrew Shue and the starstruck groupies he attracted, Harvard showed up the defending Ivy League Champions and made the Big Green feel like Billy did when a stalker took a lead pipe to his head on Melrose Place. Or something like that.

Although Dartmouth dominated the game offensively, with 20 shots to Harvard's three, senior fullback Josh Martin notched the only goal of the game and his first goal of the season on a perfectly executed free kick with 24:21 left in the first half.

Junior Craig "Pepper" Brill booted the free kick from around midfield, sending a strike to captain Joe Bradley by the left post. Bradley headed the ball to Martin, who shot the ball from the six yard line.

The key to the game, however, was the Crimson's defense and its stifling of the relentless Dartmouth attack.

In the first half, sophomore Ned Carlson (four saves) made a diving stop of a ball, but the deflection went back to the Dartmouth player, who shot what looked to be a sure goal. But senior fullback Mark Howansky raced the ball down and booted it away from the goal to maintain Harvard's slim lead. The rest of the defense was equally formidable.

"Everyone marked up and tackled hard," freshman forward T.J. Carella said.

Senior captain Joe Bradley had an exceptional game, virtually controlling the midfield and beating the taller Dartmouth players to headballs.

"He was really a dominant force on the field," Albers said.

Harvard had some breaks as well, including a Dartmouth headball that hit the crossbar with 15:00 left in the game to keep Harvard's lead intact.

The Crimson's win now has most likely shattered The Big Green's tournament chances.