Chef Gives Check to Library

Julia Child, a renowned pioneer in television cooking programs, presented a $10,000 check yesterday to the Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on behalf of the International Association of Cooking Professionals.

A reception, attended by about 30 people, was held in the library to celebrate the gift and the donation of a collection of papers by Simone "Simca" Beck, a celebrated teacher of French cooking.

The check will be used to expedite the processing of Beck's papers, which include recipes, menus, and market lists, according to a statement released by the Office of Public Information at Radcliffe.

Beck co-authored "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" with Child and also authored "Food and Friends: Recipes and Memories from Simca's Cuisine."

Child emphasized the importance of the study of gastronomy, saying, "Cooking is a profession."

She said the fact that Boston University offers a master's degree in gastronomy shows the subject's growing importance.

"It is necessary to learn and study the techniques of French cooking," she said.

Child said she advocates eating all foods in moderation, pointing out that many Americans don't know how to eat.

Child especially criticized vegetarians, saying, "I don't consider it a healthy way of eating."

The curator of Schlesinger Library, Barbara Haber, said the Mericos foundation, an organization which aids the restoration of older library books, will provide a matching grant to yesterday's donation.