Lead or Leave Comes to Harvard

Organizers Look to Increase Political Awareness and Activism

By Stephanie P. Wexler

Organizers of a grassroots political movement to increase awareness and political involvement among younger Americans say they are trying desperately to "squeak."

"As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and young people really need to get squeaky," says Nick W. Nyhan, deputy director of Lead or Leave.

Lead or Leave, a non-partisan Washington D.C.-based organization that encourages political activity among young people, has recently expanded to 87 college campuses nationwide.

Steven W. Wardell '94 says he attended a rally in Washington D.C. over the summer which inspired him to start Harvard Lead or Leave this fall.

"At the rally, they were trying to get young people involved and active in politics," Wardell says. "Pennies were dropped on the steps of the capital representing the billions of dollars our nation is in debt."

Wardell says Harvard Lead or Leave now boasts roughly 150 members and meets regularly.

Members of Harvard Lead or Leave say it is particularly important to the younger generation that the government decrease the size of the national debt.

"We are the future," says member Doug J. Lanzo '94. "It is not equitable that we should be handed this huge debt that will cut down on economic productivity and the quality of life."

Harvard Lead or Leave was one of the sponsors of a teach-in at the Institute of Politics on Nov. 1 discussing how the national debt will affect future generations.

College Students Vital

Nyhan said the efforts of college students can be vital to promoting awareness of political issues that affect younger generations.

"College students are a wonderful resource because they are young and intelligent," Nyhan said.

"They are a step away from the real world and they realize that the national economy will, if it doesn't already, play a part in their daily lives."

Nyhan said that many college students graduate and are angered because they cannot find jobs.

"The job base is shrinking and the government and the economy [are] ignoring young people," Nyhan said.

College Lead or Leave chapters across the U.S. hold demonstations, voter registration drives, lectures and discussions to promote awareness and political involvement.

"Lead or Leave is the only free, non-partisan way for young people to get their voices heard on national level," Nyhan said.