Eatery Shouldn't Be Near UHS

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

After reading your editorial on Harvard Real Estate's misadventures in Harvard Square, I would like to point out the worst infrastructural failure between Town and Gown at Holyoke Center--the siting of Marino's Restaurant next to Harvard University Health Services.

Putting a full-scale restaurant so close to a health facility which houses a walk-in clinic, hospital, pharmacy, dental and optical offices and which stores pharmaceuticals and volatile chemicals is extremely reckless. Adding to this injury is the fact that Marino's wood-burning oven in North Cambridge has brought complaints from neighbors of respiratory and eye problems.

Publication in The Harvard Crimson of all Harvard Real Estate's building and zoning permits and variances would alert the Harvard community of anything which could affect their quality of life and the integrity of a presitigous educational institution. Had this been policy, perhaps we would have been spared the sight of that gaudy awful sign at Holyoke Center. Vivian Kurkjian   Cambridge