American Airlines Strike Ends

By Douglas M. Pravda

Students anxious to venture home for the Thanksgiving holiday expressed relief after American Airlines pilots and flight attendants ended a five-day strike yesterday afternoon.

The union and the airline agreed to submit to binding arbitration after President Clinton intervened in the strike, which had caused the cancellation of many flights and left students concerned about getting home for Thanksgiving vacation.

Students who had planned to take American flights were happy that they would be able to get home after all.

But a word of caution: not all previously scheduled flights will take off.

American officials said yesterday that they hope to fly 70 percent of scheduled Tuesday flights and 85 percent of scheduled Wednesday flights.

"I have not received any official word at this point as to which flights will or will not be operating," said Thomas L. Pearce of Harvard Travel Service. "We are checking them on a flight-by-flight basis as needed.

Pearce said that the travel service did not book many passengers with American because they had expected the strike to come.

Even though not all flights will depart, most students said they were confident that they wouldn'thave any more problems.

Some students were able to switch flights toensure that they could go home.

Robert S. Sanders '97, who is traveling to FortMeyers, Fla., said that he called his travelagency last Friday when he first heard about thestrike and was able to get a seat on a USAirflight.

"I don't think there will be any moreproblems," he said.

John W. Turner '97, who is flying toDallas-Fort Worth International Airport, alsoswitched flights from American to ContinentalAirlines.

But his new flight is at an inconvenient time,and now that American is no longer striking, hesaid, "I hope I can get my old flight back."

Other students did not switch flights and willlikely be able to get home on American.

G. Brent McGuire '95 said that hearing thestrike had ended was "great news," especiallybecause he is "sort of anti-union."

McGuire said that his flight to Dallas-FortWorth had been scheduled for today, but waspostponed to tomorrow.

"I was going to walk home" if the flight hadbeen canceled, joked Jill R. Weitzner '96.

She was scheduled to leave for Jacksonville,Fla. Tuesday morning on American, but said she hadbeen trying to line up a seat on a differentairline.

Full Refunds Plus $100 Voucher

For students who have already missed theirflights because of the strike, American will givefull refunds and a $100 voucher good toward anAmerican ticket for one year.

The strike ended when Clinton persuadedAmerican's CEO Robert L. Crandall to drop hisobjections to further arbitration. The union hadsupported mediation of the dispute by a specialpresidential panel.

In the temporary settlement, union membersagreed to go back to work and the airline agreednot to fire them.

The walkout had been costing the airlinebetween $10 million and $25 million per day,according to industry estimates.

Shorthanded

During the strike, one-half to two-third ofAmerican flights took off carrying cargo, but notpassengers because they did not have the federallyrequired minimum number of flight attendants.

Union members walked out last Thursday incontract disputes over pay, medical benefits,staffing and work rules.

Wire services contributed to thisreport.

Full Refunds Plus $100 Voucher

Shorthanded