Construction Forces Shuttle Bus Detour

By Jeffrey N. Gell

Construction on DeWolfe St. has forced the re-routing of Mather and Dunster-bound shuttle buses, but students yesterday said that they have not been informed completely of the change.

Carl A. Tempesta, manager of operations for Shuttle Services, said that the shuttle service has been disrupted because construction has closed DeWolfe St.

"The problem is that we can not get on Cowperthwaite St. at all," Tempesta said. "At Banks and Cowperthwaite we are picking up the students. This is 25 yards away from the current stop."

Tempesta said students have been notified of the change. "The superintendent's offices have been notified of the change," he said.

But staff at both Dunster and Mather Houses said yesterday afternoon that they knew nothing about the change.

H. Joseph O'Connor, Dunster superintendent, said he had not heard of the changed route, but students had not complained to him.

"He [Tempesta] hasn't spoken with me, and I haven't seen anything," O'Connor said. "Obviously people are aware of the construction, and nobody has complained to me."

Jim P. Hoey, assistant superintendent at Mather House, said the superintendent might have heard but was out of town.

Late yesterday, however, a small sign went up near the Mather superintendent's office telling students that the stop had changed. But students were stillwaiting in front of Mather House for the busyesterday evening.

"I tried to take the bus this evening, but itdid not come here," said Todd S. Kim '94. "I wasriding a shuttle bus earlier today that stopped ina different place."

Arvind Venkat '95-'96 said that the change doesnot affect him because he rarely rides the shuttlebus. "I don't take the shuttle that much," Venkatsaid. "I need the exercise.