K-School Faculty Join Menino Transition Team

Newly-Elected Boston Mayor Hires 3

By Elizabeth T. Bangs

Newly-elected Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino is assembling a transition team that will include three faculty members from the Kennedy School of Government, a senior advisor told the Boston Globe yesterday.

John White, the director of the Center for Business and Government at the Kennedy School, will chair the team, which will advise Menino as he reviews the current city government, according to the Menino advisor, Edward F. Jesser.

White is a former Eastman Kodak executive who helped with the 1992 presidential candidate Ross Perot's economic plan.

In addition, Nicholas T. Mitropoulos, executive director of the Kennedy School's Taubman Center for State and Local Government, is reportedly among those helping Menino select the members of the transition team.

Mitropoulous was also the personnel director for former Gov. Michael S. Dukakis.

Dall W. Forsythe, a lecturer in public policy at the Kennedy School, will also be a member of the transition team. Forsythe was previously New York Gov. Mario M. Cuomo's budget director.

Jesser told The Globe that the 25 to 30 members of the team will be announced officially on Wednesday.

Other Menino advisers represent a variety of political and professional backgrounds. The transition team will include members of the local, state and national governments, as well as business executives and supporters drawn from the local community.

"Mayor Menino intends to convene the finest minds to advise him as he leads Boston into the 21st century," Jesser said.

During his campaign, Menino promised to audit every city department and commission as part of his effort to remake Boston's government. He has also asked for the resignations of most city department heads.