Mansfield to Debate Sullivan in `Justice' Lecture

Controversial Professor, New Republic Editor Will Discuss Homosexuality in Sanders on Tuesday

By Kathryn M. Meneely

When Andrew Sullivan was at Harvard as a graduate student in Government, Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield, Jr. '53 was one of the professors he most admired. Mansfield even helped him write his doctoral dissertation.

But this Tuesday, Sullivan--now the editor of The New Republic--will debate Mansfield in Sanders Theatre on gay rights, an issue on which both men are famously outspoken.

The debate will occur at 11 a.m. during Moral Reasoning 22, "Justice."

"They hold sharply different views on the topic," said Professor of Government Michael J. Sandel, who teaches "Justice" and organized the debate.

In October, Mansfield testified in a Colorado trial that homosexuality "eventually... undermines civilization" and is "shameful."

The trial involved Colorado's Amendment Two, which prevents cities from enacting gayrights statutes.

Mansfield was called as an expert witness as a Constitutional scholar and testified in favor of the amendment.

Sullivan, who is gay, takes the opposite side.

"The issue can't just be swept under the table," Sullivan said in an interview last night. "The process of discussion is very beneficial."

Despite their conflicting views on gay rights, Sullivan said he values his relationship with Mansfield.

"He is one of my most treasured teachers," Sullivan said. "I have the utmost civility and respect for him."

Mansfield, out of the country until Sunday, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

"Justice" students interviewed yesterday said they are looking forward to the event.

"I've heard the stories about Mansfield," said Daniel R. Garcia '97. "I expect it to be very interesting, perhaps even a little amusing."

Jarrett N. Blanc '97 said he is predicting a heated argument. "I'm expecting there to be fireworks between the two," he said.

Sandel said he encourages all 926 students in "Justice" to attend the debate. Because of space constraints, it will not be open to the public.

Mansfield and Sullivan "raise not only the issue of gay rights. They can relate it to the larger philosophical questions of the course concerning toleration," Sandel said.