Officials Cancel Yard 'Assassin'

88 Participants Disappointed

By Margaret C. Boyer

University officials have put an abrupt end to the popular "assassin" game for first-years, disappointing nearly 100 gun-toting according to the student organizer.

Won H. Park '97, who planned the game, said Assistant Dean of Freshmen Michael J. Middleton '87 and Assistant Dean of Students Sarah Flatley-Wheaton told him to cancel the game on Tuesday because it "does not present a good image of Harvard."

In the game, which has been played for many years in upperclass houses and student organizations, students stalk and shoot each other with plastic dart guns. The last person who avoids being shot wins the game.

The game involved 88 first-year students who had already started to play on Wednesday before they were notified by Park of the cancellation.

Park said Middleton originally approved of the game, but changed his mind after speaking with Flatley-Wheaton.

"[Middleton] told me it was a great idea on Monday," Park said.

Flatley-Wheaton did not return phone calls yesterday.

Middleton blamed the problem on slow communication. "The game started before the legwork on communication," he said.

He said he had told organizers to check with the dean of students' office before beginning the game.

Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley Nathans said she was unaware that Flatley-Wheaton and Middleton called off the game.

"I think that if the game is played in good funand with precautions, it is one of the leastharmful ways of having fun on campus," she said.

She said, however, that she "would respectwhatever decisions the deans had made regardingthe game."

"There may be something involving thisparticular game that I don't know about," shesaid.

Middleton said that some objections centered on"the whole idea of stalking people."

But he also said that "a carefully planned gamecan work," and he pointed out that "the people whoare participating choose to participate."

Upset, Disappointed

Students interviewed yesterday said they wereupset that the game was called off.

"I was disappointed that it was canceled," saidassassin Kanaka Pattabiraman '97. "But I guessthat even though it is a silly game, it can bevery frightening."

Park said he planned to talk to Collegeofficials about planning another game.

"I think this game has a lot of possibilities,"Park said. "It could be played during FreshmanWeek so the students could get to know each otherbetter.

Upset, Disappointed