PBS' Yan Cooks for AAA

By G. WILLIAM Winborn

A cooking demonstration last night by Martin Yan of the PBS cooking show, "Yan Can Cook," attracted an audience of about 75 people to the Yenching Auditorium.

The event was sponsored by the Harvard Foundation and the Asian American Association (AAA) as a part of the AAA's cultural month celebration.

Yan, whose show has been on the air for more than 15 years and is seen in some 255 countries worldwide, entertained the audience with his chopping prowess and special brand of humor.

"If Yan can cook, so can you. If you cannot, don't even bother," he said to a chuckling audience.

Trained in China and at the University of California, Davis, Yan told the audience he began giving cooking lessons as a first year in college.

"Impress your dates by cooking for them instead of buying them diamonds," he advised the males in the audience.

At his demonstration, Yan also showed off the latest moves in Tai Chi, a Chinese martial arts form, and peppered his dialogue with Chinese character descriptions.

He gave a chicken a massage and then impressed many by de-boning it in 18 seconds.

Members of the AAA presented Yan with a plaque commemorating a donation in his name to a Phillips Brooks House program which helps needy Chinese youths in Boston's Chinatown. Yan immediately opened his wallet and matched the $100 donation.

AAA members then presented Yan with two Harvard hats for his sons and a Harvard sweatshirt for himself. Yan sold and signed copies of his latest cookbook after the demonstration.

I'm, who was asked to evaluate a meal at Dunster House earlier in the evening, concluded that the food was good both in appearance and taste.