Jewett Reaffirms Housing Lottery

Non-Ordered Choice Likely to Continue

By Steven A. Engel

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday that first years will likely continue to select houses through the current system of non ordered choice for at least the next few years.

Jewett justified the decision as a compromise between proponents of randomization and further choice, reiterating his position of three years ago when he first instituted the system.

Although Jewett said he would re-consider the decision if students and administrators can agree on another policy, he said a consensus is unlikely any time soon.

"There is enough difference of opinion, some people leaning toward randomization, some people seeking further choice, that the current situation is probably the best compromise position that we can reach at this time," he said.

Jewett's decision effectively ended a lengthy debate in the Committee on House Life, which he chairs. He had already decided last semester to use non-ordered choice in this year's lottery for first-years, but the system for the upcoming years had not been determined.

The administration first instituted non-ordered choice in an attempt to diversify the houses, which administrators said failed to reflect the diversity of the college. The system still entitled first-years to list four houses where they would like to live, but they could not longer order those choices.

Jewett said the positions of students and administrators have remained largely unchanged after three years of non ordered choice.

Nearly all house masters had continued to push for complete randomization, said leverett master John E. Dowling '57, but most were willing to accept the compromise.

"The masters felt that we were moving in the right direction," Dowling said.

Many student members of the committee had opposed any move towards further randomization, and some supported the enhanced choice proposal endorsed by the Undergrad- uate Council in November.

Enhanced choice would have allowed students to designate their first choice among the four.

But Jewett and many masters said they feared the proposal would reduce the diversity of the houses.

David Hanselman '94, former chair of the council's residential committee which developed the proposal, supported Jewett's decision.

"Because enhanced choice didn't meet the approval of the masters, the students' best alternative was non or dered choice," he said.

Hanselman, who is currently vice chair of the council, said he expected students to react favorably to Jewett's decision because "It seems to have worked fairly well."

First years will submit them house choices and their rooming groups in mid March. This year, results will be tallied by computer for the first time